West Lombok is one of the regencies on Lombok Island. It is the principal area of tourist activity and endeavour in Lombok. It has the most facilities including hotels, restaurants, tour companies, car and motorbike rental operators, western and locally oriented bars, clubs and restaurants.
The center for tourism is Senggigiwith the lineal satellites along the coast north to the quieter and pretty Mangsit beach and Klui beach, and south to BatuBolong, BatuLayar and Montong.Senggigi in particular serves as the principal gateway to the other attractions of Lombok northward ups the west coast including the tree gili islands.
IMPORTANT CITIES IN WEST LOMBOK
West Lombok Regency consists of important cities, such as below:
- Mataram is the largest city in Lombok and the provincial capital of West Nusa Tenggara
- Ampenan is a historic port city and site of the previous international airport serving Lombok. However those airport facilities have now been moved and the airport has been closed to airline operations.
- Cakranegara is the main commercial area on the eastern flank of Mataram
- Senggigi is the main tourist strip, including the neighboring beaches of Mangsit, Klui and BatuBolong
- Gerung is an administrative capital of the West Lombok Regency. It is in the south of the provincial capital of Mataram
- Lembar is a non-descript harbour town for the larger vehicular and passenger carrying ferries to and from Bali.
SEE IN WEST LOMBOK
- BaunPusukisa bank hill which borders west Lombok and north Lombok. On this hill are monkeys sitting around and waiting for food from passengers crossing road.
- Old town and port of Ampenan, the inlet is a place for fishing boats and Lombok’s maritime oil and fuel terminal and storage tanks are sited on the foreshore. It has has a forlorn but interesting seaside esplanade.
- Gunung Sariis the mountain overlooks the northern flanks of the city. It has a traditional market and is the gateway to Pusuk
- BatuBolong — means ‘rock with a hole in it’. It is one of many wave eroded rocks with holes along the west coast. It is an important Hindu site.
- Kerandangan beach is a popular spot for satays and beach activities on Sundays. It has has a string of traditional warungs along the beach. Far back in the long valley behind the beach there are a few rental villas and as a gateway to the forest there is a lineal conservation park.
- Mangsit beach is a quieter and more civilized end of Senggigi. It is a lovely beach and good range of hotels from budget to boutique resort and has the full scale 4 star Lombok Holiday resort right on the beach.
- Klui beach is even quieter again and site to a new small boutique resort hotel. It has a lovely beach popular on Sundays with local people eating satay and playing on the beach.
- Malimbu beach has spectacular views from the headlands at either end, popular with sunset photographers.
- Nipah beach is a lovely clean bay with traditional fishing activities and a stunning mountain backdrop.
- The scenic west coast highway have beautiful bays, headlands and mountain framed rice fields to the north, a must for a motorbike enthusiast.
- Narmada water park (Taman Narmada)is located 10 km east of Mataram. This park was the relaxation place for the king during the time of feudalism. It has a Hindu temple and swimming pool. It also has a fountain which is called “Youth Fountain” and believed to give long life to a person that drinks water.
Despite the venue being a little run-down it has a feel of celebration about it especially on Sundays and is very popular with the people of Lombok who flock there to picnic and swim in a large swimming pool fed by fresh water forest springs. It is a great place to see Lombok people at play.
DO IN WEST LOMBOK
- JalanUdayana, a night time strip of warungs and small food stalls.
- Go snorkeling
- Go bike riding on the scenic west coast highway between Mangsit beach and Malimbu
- Take a guided walk in the forest
- Hire an outrigger boat and take a trip to the Gili Islands
GET IN WEST LOMBOK
To get in west Lombok regency can be done by several ways as follows:
- Airport pick-up. Lombok ArfaTour offers pick up’s and transfers to and from the airport or other locations in Lombok. You will need to enquire at the tour operator for this service and ensure you book ahead via the e-mails:email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or WA +6281904056966.
- Public buses and bemo run to and from the west coast and the city of Mataram.
The northern areas feed in through Tanjung with limited services further north from Bayan connecting down the west coast.
- Other northern services connect through Tanjung, then onward via Pemenang, through Pusuk pass and onward via Gunung Sari to Mataram, Sweta and to the Central region and on to the south and the east of the island.
- System can be a little complex and bewildering from the central areas towardsPraya, the eastern coast and the southern beaches.
- A bus terminal in the theSweta district just east of the main city of Mataram and Cakranegara serves West Lombok. It has also many smaller regional bemo hubs such as PasarAmpenan and other regional markets.
- The system feeding into and traversing the West Lombok region is somewhat confusing. Thus most visitors choose private car, minibus operators, boat services or Lombok’s quite reliable radio dispatched taxi service to get from point to point on the island.
- Fast ferry services are increasing in number with several operators providing a crossing from Pandangbai in Bali to GiliTrangawan. Many Lombok visitors are now using this alternative to the larger and slower vehicular ferries and the aircraft services arriving at Lombok’s airport in Ampenan.
- Many are new start ups and there have recently been some operational safety issues with some of the entrants to this Lombok Strait sea route. Potential users of these services should research their options well.
- Speedboats to TelukNare and Senggigi provide quick and expedient onward services from the Gili islands to the Lombok mainland.
- Traditional outrigger boat charters also provide connections through to Bangsal, Mangsit beach and Senggigi beach from the three Gili Islands.
- Lombok straitbridging Bali and Lombok provides ferries crossings once every hour.
- Alas Straitbridging Lombok and Sumbawa provides 18 ferries er day.
- Lembar arrivals by ferry from Bali may find that only limited services are available to connect Praya in Central Lombok, southeast toward Kuta or north toward the city of Mataram and the West Lombok tourism precincts of Senggigi, Gili IslandsTanjung and on to North Lombok.LombokArfa Tour in the port area serves transports during the day. The visitors should book prior their arrival via email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org Be advised to visit lombokarfatour.com
- Airport taxis travel into West Lombok and are available to arriving passengers at Lombok International Airport [LIA] in TanakAwu, Praya central Lombok. Taxi with fixed price could be booked via email@example.com